In this blog post series discovering the most authentic wines of Abruzzo, today we’ve the pleasure to introduce you to the Tommaso Olivastri winery.
From the left we have Mamma Maria, Papà Tommaso, Chiara, Valentina and Federica.
It all started from great great grandfather Tommaso, born in 1890 to a family of farm laborers, he emigrated to Boston in 1910 and returned to Italy a few years later to purchase his first properties in San Vito, which he eventually lost owing to the war. He was a soldier in the First World War from 1915 to 1918, and he was given the title of Knight of the Order of Vittorio Veneto for his achievements. Following the war, he worked as a sharecropper on the land of a local Lord, tending to grapevines, olive trees, and wheat, as well as cattle raising. He was able to purchase a house and a one-hectare vineyard after sacrificing a lot of labor. Antonio, following the footstep of the father, with the earnings he got from his work as a migrant in Canada, he bought what is the current family estate. It was thanks to Antonio’s first born, Tommaso who implemented his vision of viticulture: a high-quality project aiming at obtaining rich, healthy grapes with a distinct identity profile, stewards of his meticulous labor and the uniqueness of the vines situated between the hill and the sea. In 2000 the first bottle of Olivastri was born!
The family, today at 4th generation, is highly careful on reaching authentic quality and their winery philosophy is focused on obtaining sincere wines, conceived as genuine expression of terroir identity.
Watch our in-depth interview on our video interview below to learn more about the winey.
Vines & Terroir of the San Vito Chietino area
The Olivastri is a family winery located in San Vito Chietino, along the Trabocchi Coast a “lucky land”. In their vineyards are growing exclusively the ancient Abruzzo’s grape varieties, characterized by an almost unique and peculiar profile given from the proximity to the sea.
The farm estate (15 hectares in total) can be divided into 2 micro areas: the hillside where the cellar is located together with 60% of the vineyards, and the seaside where is the rest. The soils have high water permeability and clayey character on the hillside, and calcareous-sandy character in the sea area. The climate is mild (average annual temperature 14.5°C) and is definitely impacted by the sea’s proximity: the winter chill is reduced, while the summer heat is moderated by the cool sea breeze. Minerality is a common line shared across the wines.
The objective in the winery is to truly maintain the quality achieved in the vineyard, and producing wines that are a true reflection of their terroir.
Olivastri Tommaso Wine List
Autochthonous wines are produced: Montepucliano, Trebbiano, Cococciola (first vintage from 2015), Pecorino and Passerina. There are lines:
- L’ariosa ‘the windy’, the name comes from the windy vineyards by the sea, including the Passerina, Cococciola and Pecorino
- Trebbiano d’Abruzzo Santa Clara, the name is Tommaso choose to dedicate the label of this traditional grape variety to his mother, Chiara, almost “Santa” woman of patient and constant support
- Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo Marcantonio, made with 100% Montepulciano d’Abruzzo grapes. The grapes are sourced entirely from vineyards on a historic estate purchased by the family in the 1960s from a local noble Lord named Marcantonio;
- Montepulciano d’Abruzzo La Grondaia made by an extremely peculiar clone of Montepulciano.
- Montepulciano d’Abruzzo La Carrata, this wine is made from a famous Montepulciano grape variety and undergoes a lengthy maturing process of 30 months in steel, then in barriques (french oak) for 18 months and at least 9 months in bottle.
Olivastri Tommaso Winery Map
This winery is 18m away from Ortona and 35 from Pescara & Vasto.
Simply follow the google maps direction for, Via Quercia del Corvo, 37, 66038 San Vito Chietino CH
Wine Tours at the Olivastri Winery on the Trabocchi Coast
Valentina speaks amazing english and welcomes anyone. Best way is to contact them though their website or instagram
Visit the most Genuine Wineries of Abruzzo
Up to visit and discover the most genuine wineries of Abruzzo? Let us guide you to the discovery of the most underrated wineries in the region. Check out our wine trip planning and tour.